Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Interview #1


Valerie Jozef

Interview #1

Amy 
V: Lets start off with what is your name?
A: Amy.
V: Okay do you remember when you first started reading?
A: Probably in like maybe kindergarten or first grade I’m guessing around there.
V: Do you remember who taught you how to read or who you would usually read with?
A: My parents
V: And they taught you how to read as well?
A: They didn’t teach me how to read but I would read with them and the teacher would teach me how to read and then I would read with my parents at night.
V: Do you remember when you first started writing?
A: Maybe like a little older. Like they get you in the style of writing but writing fluently would maybe in fourth or fifth grade.
V: Do you remember who taught you how to write?
A: My teachers at school
V: Do you remember the first book that you read?
A: Probably like started off with the basics like The Hat and The Cat.
V: How did you feel when you first read that book?
A: Good because you understand sounds and syllables and how to pronounce it.
V: Can you tell me about your first writing experience?
A: I think the first writing experience was when we had to do the writing for the state and then give it in.
V: Do you remember what you wrote about?
A: Oh god. No.
V: Do you remember another writing experience that you had that meant something to you?
A:  I was in sixth grade and writing for the state again. All the districts had to take this and I was the only one in my class that got the highest grade.
V: That must have made you really proud!
A: Yes. I was.
V: What your best experience with writing throughout all your years in school?
A: Best experience was my sixth grade writing teacher. I love her and the way she taught. She was great.
V: Do you remember her name?
A: Ms. Valenco
V: Did she always give you positive feedback?
A: Yes. She was so hands on with all her students. She explained everything!
V: Did she allow you to be creative?
A: Yup.
V: What was your worst experience with writing?
A: Probably when I took the state test in third grade and didn’t do well on it. But I feel like that was because I was younger and didn’t have a handle on my writing. The test stressed me out.
V: At that point were you confident with your writing?
A: No
V: Did you have teachers in third grade that made you feel comfortable with your writing?
A: No. It was a personal struggle with writing.
V: Is school important to you?
A: Yes
V: Why is it important to you?
A: Because I want to get a job as a teacher and need to go to school.
V: Did you have any teachers that had an impact either negatively or postivaly on your writing?
A: My sixth and eighth grade teachers.
V: How many years have you been in college?
A: This is my 4th year.
V: How many classes would you say involved you writing papers?
A: Probably every class.
V: What did you like about the English classes you have taken?
A: The English classes weren’t that bad. Just depending on the topics of the papers and how you had to express yourself in them.
V: Did you find English classes here at Kean to be useful?
A: Yea. I feel a lot of teachers are willing to help and show you how to make your paper better and improve.
V: Did you dislike any of your English classes?
A: Yes.
V: Do you remember which one?
A: I’m guessing the class I took sophomore year here.
V: What about freshman composition?
A: That class was fine.
V: In freshman composition do you remember the writing in that class being more creative or academic?
A: It was creative.
V: Did you like that class better because you were able to creatively?
A: Yes. I could express myself more.
V: Did you have a favorite English class?
A: No
V: Did you have to take English classes for a requirement or for your major/minor?
A: English composition was the only required class I had to take for English.
V: Do you like to write outside of the classroom?
A: I did when I was younger. I don’t anymore.
V: What did you write when you were younger?
A: Like how school was, how it was going, and finals.
V: I remember in second grade I had a diary.
A: I think I had that too.
V: Do you remember how you felt after writing your first piece of creative writing?
A: You feel excited because its an accomplishment and you feel good about yourself when you receive a good grade.
V: Which do you think is harder and why? Academic writing or creative writing?
A: Academic writing.
V: Why?
A: Academic writing deals with all different topics, subjects and classes. Its always something different
V: What is your opinion on how English classes are set up?
A: I feel that they are set up in the basic way to explain to you how to write. I feel like teachers explain to you what you to do sometimes and you either get it or you don’t.
V: Do you believe that these classes meet the needs of the student?
A: In a sense yes and in a sense no because depending on what you write about depends on what the teacher asks.
V: Do you think these classes allow the students to be creative?
A: Yes if its creative writing and no if its for academic writing.
V: Have you ever felt restrained when writing a paper?
A: Yes because I wanted to be creative with it but then I had to write it the way the teacher wanted.
V: Do you think academic writing is used more frequently then creative writing?
A: Yes
V: Why do you think that is?
A: Because when you’re in college there is so much more academic papers.
V:  Would you say that every student who’s in college should take creative writing?
A: I think everyone should so they can express themselves.
V: When your creative piece gets graded how do you feel?
A: Depending on how you do either good or bad.
V: Do you think that being able to write creatively could help you write academically or the other way around?
A: I think that maybe academic writing helps creative writing since your writing about all different topics.
V: What is the easiest part of academic writing?
A: Figuring out the information first. I feel better once I write it out on paper.
V: What would you say is the hardest part about academic writing?
A: How to present everything and put into paragraphs and correct form.
V: Is it hard to write the paper when you have guidelines?
A: Yes, I feel restrained.
V: What is the easiest part about creative writing?
A: That you can express yourself freely and you express what you are thinking about on paper and that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.
V: What is the hardest part about creative writing?
A: Figuring out a topic.
V: Do you remember a certain academic paper you wrote and can you tell me about it?
A: My philosophy of education paper.
V: How do you feel about that paper?
A: It wasn’t too bad. We were given guidelines, which in this case actually helped me with the paper. This paper was creative because it was my own view but also academic because it was being graded.
V: How did you feel when you writing this paper?
A: I felt like it wasn’t too bad.
V: How did you prepare for this paper?
A: I wrote everything down in a notebook first and then the computer. I also looked at different online sources.
V: How did you feel when you finished the paper?
A: I felt good because I expressed what needed to be expressed and I felt like I had good information.
V: Will you ever look back on that paper?
A: Maybe.
V: Does the profession you want to enter require the use of proper grammar?
A: Yes
V: In what way?
A: To be a teacher you need to speak proper grammar and be able to teach the students proper grammar as well.
V: Any other ways?
A: Lesson plans
V: What types of writing will be used in your profession?
A: Creative pieces for lesson plans.
V: Anything else you would like to add to this interview that you feel I should know?
A: No.


No comments:

Post a Comment