Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Blog 3- 9/11 Oral History Interview

Interviewer: Rachel
Subject: Valerie

As we spoke about in class, oral history is knowledge of the past. It can be formal or informal in my opinion because you can be speaking to someone in your family who just wants to tell you about how they grew up, where they lived, how they struggled. On the other hand you can interview someone looking for information.

Before we started the interview Rachel introduced herself and then shared with me her own story about 9/11 and what she remembers about that day. I then joined her in talking and we were both fortunate enough to not have known anyone who sadly lost their life. She asked questions about how old was I, did I remember how I was told it happened, and did I remember where I was. Due to the questions she was asking and the responses I was giving her she was able to branch off those questions she had previously asked and ask new ones. She was very sympathetic and never interupted me. She allowed me to speak freely about my experiences. After the interview we were just talking off the record about 9/11 and how sad we feel for the people who lost their lives and the families who have to deal with their loss. It was a very emotional for this country and I'm glad we were able to discuss it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment